Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Culturally Revelevant

I was reading Mark Waltz's blog this morning and came across a post that sparked a thought pattern. Mark was sharing a word of wisdom from his pastor.

"We are not helping people convert to our culture; we are helping them convert to Christ."

This brings a major discussion point up. Please understand that my thoughts here are not an effort to shoot wholes in this profound quote. I'm just trying to unwrap the whole thing.

The Pastor here was talking about not trying to convert the lost to the culture of the church I think, but rather convert the lost to followers of Christ. However, the church has a distinct culture. So much so that the local church has to change its ways to remain relevant to the culture of the lost. The major debate right now in the creative church movement is how to remain relevant to the lost to obtain the opportunity to evangelize. But then Pastor Beeson here points out that we are not to convert the lost to the culture of the church. I guess its just a byproduct of Christian living. The same Christian Living that the lost call legalistic. Seems like a no win battle.

I think I'm missing something here...

No comments: