Thursday, July 21, 2005

Disappointment

People often think of LU or a Church as a safe haven. I submit, it is a bubble. Bubbles are interesting phenomena. Bubbles dont always pop. they can inflate, deflate, stretch, conform, and yes sometimes explode.

Today a bubble exploded again for me. Working at a Christian place, I deal with the same politics that the business world has, sometimes worse here then there, I deal with relationships with co workers, budget deficiencies, policy breeches, and uneducated people who think they already know what they came here, a university, to learn.

Someone decided within the past three days that they needed or desired a mixing console more than Liberty, and took it upon themselves to take that unit home. While theft is not uncommon here at LU, quite the contrary as a matter of fact, I felt as though this act was a direct hit on me personally. It was not, I'm aware of that, however, I fight for this department. I work long hours, I bleed on the job, literally, and I sweat profusley. In short, my job is not always cake.

This hard work over the past couple of years in developing a bleeding department into a functional teaching unit has been a passion of mine and my main purpose for being here at the school. Now that I have finished my degree, it has never been more the case.

A wise man from North Carolina, and a personal business friend once told me: "Kevin, no one will ever care about your department as much as you will." The same man told me fixing inexpensive gear is "like taking a hamster to the vet". Wisdom comes in all shapes a sizes, and I wished that I wish that I had a bit of that wisdom today when I faced this ordeal. Working over 60 hours this week added to this frustration. Perhaps a day off is called for.

No comments: